Re: Doc: Update changing context default settings (2322) (issue 6345086)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Doc: Update changing context default settings (2322) (issue 6345086)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:20:01 +0000

<mailto:address@hidden> wrote Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:35 AM

http://codereview.appspot.com/6345086/diff/5001/Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely#newcode844
>> Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely:844: \override Stem
> #'thickness = #4.0
>> On 2012/07/11 21:47:58, dak wrote:
>
>> > That overrides Stem thickness in all Bottom contexts.
>> > It seems unlikely that a single setting will be nice
>> > for MensuralVoice, TabVoice and Voice alike.
>
>> True, but that's not an issue here.  An example that
>> shows the effect of the code clearly is all that is
>> required.
>
> It would do that also if you wrote
> \override Voice.Stem ...

Hmm.  Suppose we change the introductory paragraph
to this example to say, "in which case the Score context is
assumed unless explicitly stated", and use Voice.Stem in
the \override example.

How does that sound?

Uhm, wrong?

\override in an output definition (as opposed to a context definition)
is just interpreted as ordinary property-setting music.

If you don't specify a context type explicitly here, it does not apply
to the Score context, but rather to all Bottom contexts (which Score is
not).

In contrast, an \override command in a context definition is _not_
interpreted as a music command and can't take a context name with a
period before the property.  You also can't use the music command "\set"
in a context definition, but have to use an assignment.

Basically, the effect of context-setting music in an output definition
(like \layout) is like writing the respective set/override at the start
of _every_ context.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6345086/