Re: Meeting 2nd half of August!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Meeting 2nd half of August!
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 17:42:47 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> [ let's make a LilyPond meeting ]
>
> So, is the date ultimately set? (Friday the 24th to Tuesday the 28th?)
> I confirm my presence with 98% certainty (2% are reserved for
> earthquakes, falling meteorites, bus/train strikes and illness)
> for at least 3 days, but hopefully all 5 of them.

Yes, the date is set.  Just the official invitation is still in the
works: the usual story: I get distracted by trying to get a block of
parser changes finished.

As for travelers from afar: planes can be booked to Dortmund, Essen, or
Düsseldorf in order of slightly more travel time and train fare, with
Köln being still tolerable.  Travelers from France might want to check
www.thalys.fr, particularly group fares.  Unfortunately, it is only
Cologne that gets reasonably frequent service, arrival and departure
times for Essen or Duisburg are awful.

The bus station (700m or so) is Waltrop Elmenhorst, the underground from
Dortmund main station (25 minutes) which should be the most important
target for arrival plans is Brambauer Verkehrshof (5 minutes by car from
here), probably the next train station (15 minutes by car) with early
morning/late night service is Dortmund Mengede.

If travel times don't permit otherwise, it makes sense to arrive the
evening before or leave early in the morning on Wednesday.  I think that
visitors from Germany will be more likely there at the weekend: that
makes entry-level and programming and some architecture courses sit best
there.  As many developers as possible should roll at least one
development release: so it makes sense introducing at least the first
batch of developers right on Friday.

So if you are booking, plan for the 24th to 28th date.  I'd like to get
some stuff started on Friday already, and finish the "official" part
about Tuesday afternoon.