Re: Issue 2702 in lilypond: Patch: Unify the lexer's idea of words and c

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Issue 2702 in lilypond: Patch: Unify the lexer's idea of words and commands across all modes.
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 07:43:45 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Except that \-o can be a MARKUPCOMMAND but not a DASHED_KEY_WORD which
> can't start with a dash as first character after the backslash.  A
> DASHED_KEY_WORD can contain digits, but this is mostly useless since you
> can't use them except in INITIAL mode.
>
>>> One consequence is that if you can use \commandname in some
>>> context, it can
>>> be defined using
>>> commandname = ...
>>> without requiring quote marks since word syntax and command name
>>> syntax are
>>> in direct correspondence.
>>
>> I don't see this as a huge benefit.  What's wrong with
>>   commandname = { ... }
>> ?
>
> The difference is to the left of the equals sign.  You can write
> command-name = ...
> instead of
> "command-name" = ...
>
> Embarrassingly, you could actually always do this already,

I take that back because LilyPond is not in INITIAL mode initially, but
in notes mode with an empty list of note names.  It is in INITIAL mode
basically inside of context modifications, context and output
definitions.

> zip3 = 5\cm
>
> You could assign to variables with numbers in their name.  This feature
> has seen little use since you can't reference them in music short of
> using $.

Aaand you can only assign to them inside of context definitions, context
mods and output definitions.  So the above needs to be there, not at top
of file.