Re: Problems with make test

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Problems with make test
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:48:54 +0100

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:22:25AM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> So I open collated-files.html, to find that there are no images to
> eyeball. The HTML expects PNG files, but very few are created (in
> particular, the one I want...).

collated-files.html only shows the differences, not the actual
files.  Furthermore, these differences are calculated based on the
.eps or something like that, and text is *not* included in the
comparison!  For various reasons, the original authors of this
system deliberately did not use a pixel-based checker.

(at the present time I make no judgement about the validity of
their reasons, mainly because I can't remember what they were but
I know that they know far more than me about this stuff so I'm
content to trust them.  But if you want to investigate this later,
I could help dig up the old emails and then you could play around
with the build system and GUB)

> .ps files are created, but if I
> double click these, all I get is an image saying 'Loading...'

There _are_ ways of viewing the output from those .ps files
(although I could have sworn that the real data was in the .eps
files, not .ps -- also, watch out for foo.eps vs. foo-1.eps.  IIRC
the real data is in foo-1.eps!).  However, it requires finding the
right file(s), possibly specifying additional font information,
etc.

> Are we aware that make test doesn't create a usable document from
> which to view the output, or is it just an oddity of my system?

I'm aware that there are difficulties.  I have a vague sense that
this has been discussed within the past year and one of the
Germans (David/Werner/Reinhold) posted instructions for viewing
the output with ghostscript.