Re: A series of gitdiff patches from offline development

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: A series of gitdiff patches from offline development
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 12:25:15 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "ArnoldTheresius" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:22 AM

ArnoldTheresius wrote:

Phil Holmes-2 wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "ArnoldTheresius" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 9:08 AM

Arnold,

...  Could you see whether you can fix this?

--
Phil Holmes

Hmm,

... I will check ...

ArnoldTheresius

As I moved the 'end hook or not' examination to the engraver to access the
current context, I may not read 'glyph-name' otherwise it's return value
will be chached und not updated after line breaking.
I just replaced endbar->get_property ("glyph-name") with
endbar->get_property ("glyph").
http://old.nabble.com/file/p34265217/patch_diff_f.txt patch_diff_f.txt

Is this an updated patch?  AFAICS it's the same as the previous version?

I know, the horizontal position of the end hook (and start hook?) of the
voltas look a little ugly, and also needs to be additionally shifted after
line breaking when it's at the end of line, too. This will be a future task
for me.

Moreover, do we need to turn off the end hook of the volta if it's at a line
end - perhaps in certain combinations only?
Well, I viewed some sheet music yesterday. And the end hook of the 2nd volta
over a repeat start sometimes was printed, sometimes was not printed, both
variants in the same music print.

I've checked my typography books (including Gould) and it's not clear that there's a rule. It's clear that a bracket over a first-time section that breaks over a system should be open-ended at the system break, and should close at the end of the first-time section. The brackets should close at the end of the music. Generally, it seems that the last bracket can be left open unless it's the same length as the first time section, when it can be closed. If this isn't clear, I'll try to photoshop some rules.

--
Phil Holmes