Re: After many changes to Patchy - problems on testing (for me anyway)

From: James
Subject: Re: After many changes to Patchy - problems on testing (for me anyway)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 20:41:19 +0100

John

On 27 August 2012 08:30, James <address@hidden> wrote:
> John,
>
> On 26 August 2012 16:37, John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> After lots of testing, debugging, and commits editions cycles, I've
>> pushed many changes to Patchy in lilypond-extra master branch.  Most
>> changes regard Patchy on a server and patches testing.
>
> I tried to use these changes this morning - there were 3 patches all
> at new - while it all ran as normal there were a couple of things I
> noticed that I'd like a clarification (in case I misunderstood the
> other explanations).
>
> 1. Usually when I run ./test-patchy.py it grinds through all the new
> patches and creates a 'show-regtest' file that I can  then view. Since
> the latest change, this file is not created
> 2. I also noticed that while I usually have a $LILYPOND_GIT/Build dir
> on my system - I and I think Patchy have always built 'out of tree' -
> I now not only had a ../build/.. but a ../build-build/.. dir
> 3. Because of #1 and #2 above I did a ctrl-C on patchy to kill the
> rest of the tests - there is no point in just doing a 'make' if I
> cannot check 'make test' - and after than I couldn't restart patchy as
> it said another instance was still in use. I realise that ctrl-C is
> not a nice way to go, but usually in the past I could just re-run it
> and it would seem to tidy-up after itself or before itself (depending
> on your point of view) now I cannot run ./test-patchy.py. I did try to
> find a 'lock' type file but was unsuccessful.
>
> What I am doing for now (because it is simpler for me) is to roll back
> to a previous snapshot of my LilyDev image I use, as I cannot remember
> where git was before I did a git pull on ../patchy/patches/.

I had problems rolling back and so ended up installing a fresh LilyDev
- no big deal (just time) and it helped to refresh my knowledge of the
tools again.

I have played about with Patchy more and seem to understand the
nuances compared to what it was before and am running patch tests now.
I'll need to go back over the config files (now that they are no
longer the old ones I had) as the build dirs with the reg test shell
scripts are there, but have just moved now.

I also found it easier to just rm the .lilypond-patchy-cache file
rather than muck about editing all but a single line (or two), it
seemed to be simpler.

All in all though it works for me.

Thanks

James