Re: Allow digits in identifiers (issue 6493072)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Allow digits in identifiers (issue 6493072)
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 09:51:17 +0000

On 2012/09/05 09:26:12, Keith wrote:

Agreed,
but I'll still pout a couple more times that you get your
Schemy-dashes and
underscores but I still have to refer to the motif from measure
tousend_sechshundert_siebzig

_I_ get my Schemy-dashes?  I was _not_, I repeat, _not_ the person who
invented variables named line-width and similar and considered writing
Oh_my_god_engraver without quotes a fabulous idea.

Someone also decided to allow digits in names in INITIAL mode (and
possibly some TeX escape sequences as well) but since, like everything
in LilyPond, this was not documented and _thank_ _God_ nobody noticed
since LilyPond does not start out in INITIAL mode, I have been able to
remove this before the damage had been established outside of music
mode.

If it had been up to me, "my" Schemy-dashes and underscores would have
gone where the sun don't shine.  But while trying to create some
more-or-less consistent syntax according to more-or-less simple rules, I
try not to break all too many existing use cases.

With the current rule set, we can at least _pretend_ that somebody had a
more or less consistent design in mind before starting to write
LilyPond.

I am making progress on being able to use pseudo-variables like \motif
1670 and hope that I'll get people out of my hair when I get that into
shape.  No, it is not the same, but it has its own advantages.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6493072/