Re: [GLISS] why the hell all this fuss

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: [GLISS] why the hell all this fuss
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 09:14:54 +0100

I'm moving this discussion from -bug to -devel as it seems more appropriate
here.

On 06/09/12 11:56, David Kastrup wrote:
Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

Has anyone ever actually engaged with any major publishers to identify
the factors that are of interest to them in engraving software, and
the features that Lilypond would have to implement in order to meet
their requirements?

Judging from my experience in print publishing, the most important
feature is that output quality is not competitive.

They have taken large investments in their current tools, their
operators, their experts, their workflows, dependencies, and customer
base and expectations and pricings.  They are major publishers not just
since yesterday.  They have what it takes to crank out good scores at
competitive prices.

Getting them interested is only feasible if LilyPond opens new business
areas for them.  They won't be interested to change to LilyPond in
already established areas because it would mean putting them on equal,
or actually on worse footing with newcomers.

Short of being able to offer new _business_ models, you'll get
stonewalled.  They'll have to react if you manage to upset the
established markets with LilyPond, but they won't actively participate
before that is the case.

Obviously what you say has a lot of truth to it -- like any other business, publishers' software choices are very heavily dictated not just by the software's objective properties but also by how it fits with their existing infrastructure, production process and staff training.

But I wasn't proposing a lobbying exercise to get publishers using Lilypond -- I was proposing that we try and identify what technical aspects of engraving software, beyond infrastructural lock-in, are important to the major publishers. I think that's something that can be found out even if the publishers have no intention of altering their software choices.

At the first instance, their production infrastructure is worth understanding in detail. Who is it who uses the engraving software, in-house staff, external freelancers, a mix of both? How do they work together? What is it that the publisher expects to receive from their engravers, a Finale/Sibelius/SCORE file, an Adobe Illustrator file, a PostScript or PDF file of the final work, or some combination of these? What do they archive, and how do they handle corrections, updated editions etc.? Do they even care about the software used as long as the final score meets house style?

I don't see that there is likely to be any big secret around all of this, because the major details are likely to be almost entirely the same from publisher to publisher. (In STM publishing, for example, many of the major rival publishers use the same typesetting services from the same suppliers. It's not a secret that the typical workflow is that text is imported or re-typed in Word, which is used for copyediting; and this is then imported into InDesign, where the layout is done; and from there it is exported to PDF and XML. It's also evident why they are ever more favouring these tools over e.g. LaTeX, because the whole process of typing, checking and editing is much easier with these tools; LaTeX is being relegated to an input format rather than a production one.) Of course there are details of practice that publishers won't share, but most likely the dominant differentiating factors are simply economies of scale rather than some special, secret technique.

I don't think this has to involve major overtures to major publishers, it just needs to involve finding a few technical people (both freelancers and in-house staff) responsible for engraving with major publishers, taking them out for a drink or two, and going over in detail what are their killer features in a piece of engraving software, and what would render a piece of software unusable. For best insight I would also talk to film composers and studio staff, to see how their use of Finale/Sibelius/etc. fits with what the publishers do (e.g. is it relevant to publishers that the same software they use for engraving, can also be used to very quickly produce, revise and test an arrangement for use in the recording studio?).