Re: Git translation branch policy change: merge with and from stable/2.1

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Git translation branch policy change: merge with and from stable/2.16
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 12:40:50 +0200

Il giorno gio, 13/09/2012 alle 10.44 +0200, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
> 2012/9/8 Francisco Vila <address@hidden>:
> > Hi John,
> > as things are today, can we keep doing the usual merges of
> > translation-->staging and master-->translation?
> >

> I still had no response,

I think the message that started this thread stated it clearly: "From
now on, translation branch at the repository on Savannah should no
longer be merged with master and into staging; instead, it should be
merged with stable/2.16."

>  but now I have a request. The translation
> branch is still in 'stable' status. I think it should be kept so for a
> while, i.e. not to merge master into translation until a new 2.16.x
> stable is released. I believe this is the path to go because no
> translation/stable branch has been created, therefore if we want to
> sync our translations to master, we have no way of knowing what to
> translate and what not to.

Creating a translation/stable branch is easy, but I don't know how
translators would be comfortable with switching between two branches for
translation work (maybe I wouldn't if I worked on translations myself).

> After next 2.16.x, we can merge master into translation and go on with
> translation of development branch.
>
> Right?

You mean 2.16.1, don't you?

The probable frequence of 2.16 releases makes this sound like a good
idea.

As we have already merged stable/2.16 into staging/master, we can do it
again right after 2.16.1, and just after that merge translation with
staging and from master.

John