Re: Advice on NoteHead X-offset, conflict with ly:grob-relative-coordina

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Advice on NoteHead X-offset, conflict with ly:grob-relative-coordinate
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 04:31:50 +0000 (UTC)

Colin Hall <colinghall <at> gmail.com> writes:

> You might have seen the bug report from Paul Morris entitled:
> "NoteHead X-offset, conflict with ly:grob-relative-coordinate"
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2012-12/msg00013.html

> If one of the devs could have a quick look and give me a moniker for
> it, I'll raise a tracker.

I don't see a bug.

This is about how LilyPond behaves when NoteHead.X-offset is changed.
Its pre-defined value points to a function that arranges one-or-more notes
in a chord, choosing which go on which sides when small intervals are present.

When Paul first asks LilyPond how she would arrange the note(s) in a chord,
she refers to X-offset function, and then Paul's overwrite of X-offset is
never used.  It seem LilyPond has no further need to look ad X-offset and
never notices Paul's change.

Thomas notices that if he leaves the X-offset of the /first/ note in a chord
at its default, LilyPond applies the default behavior to *all* the notes in
the chord.  Given that the default behavior is a collective arrangement
of the note-heads across the chord, that makes sense to me.