Re: Upgrading Python - why not bundle official 2.7 binaries?

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Upgrading Python - why not bundle official 2.7 binaries?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:36:30 +0100

Ben Rudiak-Gould writes:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
>>> ...it seems like the
>>> question is why we don't download the binaries directly and bundle
>>> them with LilyPond.
>>
>> Because then all bets are off concerning comparable results.
>
> Not if you bundled the same release version of the binaries on every
> platform. I do understand the problem

Your thoughts are valid and I appreciate your concern.  I don't reall
see a problem as such.  What we have done is create a fully automated
system for producing all LilyPond binaries in one go.  It's called GUB.

It gets the job done and even works nicely, most of the time.  We made
some choices in GUB, for good or for bad.  If you have good ideas of
how to improve things, try it and send a patch.  If it looks clean and
is an obvious improvement, chances are it will be used.

Greetings,
Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl