Re: opening bar check crashes the compiler

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: opening bar check crashes the compiler
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:32:10 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> %%%%
>
> Bar and bar number checks
>
> Bar checks help detect errors in the entered durations. A bar check
> may be entered using the bar symbol, |, at any place where a bar line
> is expected to fall. If bar check lines are encountered at other
> places, a list of warnings is printed in the log file, showing the
> line numbers and lines in which the bar checks failed. In the next
> example, the second bar check will signal an error.
>
>     \time 3/4 c2 e4 | g2 |
>
> %%%
>
> Shows that the bar-check should be written _after_ the section which
> should be checked.
>
> So, writing
> is a user-error.

I read "at any place where a bar line is expected to fall", and I count
the start as being such a place.

> Well, perhaps this error shouldn't result in a crash

And there is "most definitely" for this.  One problem is that being at
the start of the music does not tell us whether there is a \partial
command following right behind, so there is insufficient information for
a really reliable bar check at the starting point I think.

I might be mistaken, but a crash is never an appropriate reaction in any
case for user input as straightforward as that.

The severity of the penalty does not match the offense.

> or perhaps the doc should be more clear.

Maybe.  But first we need to get rid of the crash before figuring out
what we want to see instead.