Re: point-and-click in SVG

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: point-and-click in SVG
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 08:18:16 +0200

> The archives show a few half-hearted attempts to get this working,
> but no actual patches other than Mike's "lily dances" patch from
> Dec 2010 which wasn't merged.
>
> I've got a patch which adds point-and-click,
> https://codereview.appspot.com/8273045
> but it's sub-optimal at the moment because you need to click
> slightly away from the note -- a directly click on the notehead
> does nothing.  This is because output-svg.scm's
>   (grob-cause ...)
> is called *before* drawing the path of the notehead, and SVG has
> no z-index.
>
> The question is this: what calls grob-cause?  Ideally I'd like to
> have an SVG-specific function which formats a note with
> point-and-click info as:
>   <a xlink="file.ly:2:3:4" />
>     <path normal lilypond svg notehead />
>   </a>
> but failing that I'd be content to shove the <a...> below the
> default notehead.  Does this require mucking about in C++?

Looking at the code, it would appear that formatting of a grob is
enclosed within calls of grob-cause and no-origin, so putting the </a>
in no-origin would seem like the course forward.  It does not appear
like no-origin is used in any other circumstance.

It might make sense to rename it to something less cryptical while you
are at it.