Re: 2.18

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 2.18
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 00:29:31 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Two things I consider important for 2.17.17 are the strokeadjust
>>> changes for PostScript output, and the vertical rest positioning.
>>
>> Is this parody?  April Fools Day was two weeks ago, David.
>
> Indeed, i consider strokeadjust changes as definitely inappropriate
> for 2.18 - it's a change of how every single output file will look
> like, and thus i think it should have at least two months of exposure
> before being added to a stable.

Exactly because the change will be visible in every single file (and is
systematic), a thorough verification is pretty much ensured by every
user: if there is a problem, it will be all over the place.

> Especially since it was already discovered that the output gets worse
> in some cases.

Janek, you are getting tiresome.  How often do I need to repeat that I
am working on this?  The change is not going to get committed in the
current form.  So could you please reserve judgment until the facts are
in?  I am saying "important for 2.17.17".  There will be at least
2.17.18 before we are forking, and I consider this change "important for
2.17.17" exactly so that we have enough of a run-up time to be able to
revert it when it turns out that it would be a bad idea to keep it.

That means that I consider it important enough to try my best getting it
into acceptable state for 2.17.17, and "getting it into acceptable
state" does not mean bullshitting everyone including myself into
believing it acceptable.  That's not the way I work.