Re: Doc: Document the use of \temporary (2938) (issue 8859044)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Doc: Document the use of \temporary (2938) (issue 8859044)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:27:45 +0000

https://codereview.appspot.com/8859044/diff/1/Documentation/extending/programming-interface.itely
File Documentation/extending/programming-interface.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/8859044/diff/1/Documentation/extending/programming-interface.itely#newcode413
Documentation/extending/programming-interface.itely:413: will then pop
the previous value.
On 2013/04/23 13:19:05, janek wrote:
Shouldn't this be "pop the new value" or "pop the temporarily
overridden value"?

Indeed.  It is probably not overly helpful speaking of popping values
since that is ambiguous between "getting them" and "discarding them".
What is popped is actually the stack itself.  If we want to avoid too
much programmer lingo, we probably would rather write something like

"The use of @code{\temporary} causes the (usually set) @code{pop-first}
property in the override to be cleared, so the previous value is not
popped off the property stack before pushing the new value onto it.
When a subsequent @code{\revert} pops off the temporarily overriden
value, the previous value will reemerge."

https://codereview.appspot.com/8859044/