Re: colorful make output! yum!

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: colorful make output! yum!
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 21:30:20 +0200

Hi all,

2013/9/11 Franciszek Boehlke <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
> Janek has just pushed newer (still development, though) version of my patch
> to dev/frax/colorful-make branch. It is almost completely rewritten and
> greatly simplified, and fixes several mentioned issues. I'd be happy if you
> give it a try and share with your feedback.

I've compared the output of make before and after the patch.
- before: 32 thousand lines (metafont output itself is over 28
thousand lines long)
- after: 2 thousand lines!

Regardless of colors (which i consider a nice addition), this
shortening makes 'make' output more readable and i really like this
change.  I don't think that this is only about aesthetics: with
current make output, it was sometimes difficult for me to find the
cause of make failure - Franek's patch makes output much more readable
and i'm sure that it'll be easier for me to understand errors.

Actually, this patch makes visible errors and warnings that are
present *right now* - even if we're not going to fix them, it's better
to see 'em.

best,
Janek