Re: Build everything on the first pass of make. (issue 13333048)

From: Julien Rioux
Subject: Re: Build everything on the first pass of make. (issue 13333048)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 06:25:28 -0400

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:47 AM, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
I don't understand what you're fixing here, Julien.  On my machine, deleting the build directory completely, then recreating it and running make (-j9 of course) completely rebuilds the binaries in a single pass.  Further immediate calls to make do nothing.

Good to know, but here it doesn't work out quite like this. For me the emmentaler font files are being rebuilt on the second call to make. Somehow it thinks that the fontforge script files are newer than the font files, so it rebuilds the font files. I'll attach the log below. The patch fixes this.

For make doc, a bunch of stuff is rebuilt on second pass, but fixing all this is hard to track.

The only significant bug in this area that I'm aware of is that modifying metafont files does not cause the font files to be rebuilt - we have to do some deleting in build/mf/out to force a rebuild.

Yep, that's bug 779: http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=779
John was working on it, it seems, but probably got sidetracked.

Cheers,
Julien