Re: Checks to see if tuplet brackets have bounds (issue 13582046)

From: tdanielsmusic
Subject: Re: Checks to see if tuplet brackets have bounds (issue 13582046)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 08:41:42 +0000

On 2013/09/13 07:09:44, mike7 wrote:

With respect to your point about null pointers and the nature of the
patch, I
agree that there needs to be a better way to handle this.  To me, the
general
problem seems to be "what do we do when we assume a grob will have
something
(bound, object, etc.) and it doesn't?"  Is the solution to suicide the
spanner
if it doesn't have bounds?  Is the solution to raise a programming
error like we
do now (I prefer that solution)?

LilyPond should always try to continue when an error is detected.
If the error is thought to be a user error a warning should be
issued and an assumption made about what was intended.  If the
error is thought to be due to faulty or missing code (as here) the
erroneous operation should be abandoned and a programming error
issued.  Reported programming errors should always be recorded in
an issue tracker unless one already exists.  At least that, I
believe, was the general approach adopted in the past and it seems
sound to me.

Trevor

https://codereview.appspot.com/13582046/