Re: no critical: 2.18 is close?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: no critical: 2.18 is close?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 13:47:46 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Federico Bruni" <address@hidden>
Cc: "lilypond-devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 1:33 PM

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

I see there's no critical issue in the tracker.
I remember that you used to publish release candidates of next stable when
we have no critical issues.
So I wonder if the releae of 2.18 is close or there's something that it's
blocking it..

The release of 2.18 is not "close" since we first need to branch off a
release branch.  There is still the regression in \fill-line which needs
addressing.  I would have liked to get an overhaul of \partcombine work
in as well, but the last reviewed state is not where I would have felt
confident saying "this is what's going to stay" so it seems more
appropriate to just deliver the old stuff.  There is context handling
murkiness which I have not got to the state where removing inexplicable
workarounds would have no effects any more.  But that's not a
regression.  And so on.

I think after letting 2.17.27 settle for a few days, we are ready to
create the branch.  We still might make another 2.17 release afterwards
to get some exposure to final fixes (like the \fill-line markup), but it
better not have any syntax changes requiring convert-ly rules unless
they are going to end up in 2.18 as well.  Issue 3566 is a candidate for
this "may or may not make it" threshold.

But I think having a release of 2.18 ready in about three weeks seems
possible enough that we should try.

+1

--
Phil Holmes