Re: Failed 'make' with 2.17.27 from tarball

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Failed 'make' with 2.17.27 from tarball
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:28:21 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> for some testings I tried to compile 2.17.27 from the tarball to be found at:
> http://lilypond.org/website/development.html
> on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
>
> Without success. The terminal-output points me to
> contributor.makeinfo.log
>
> This file contains:
> "
> /home/me/lilypondH/lilypond-2.17.27/Documentation/contributor/programming-work.itexi:69:
> warning: @image file `lilypond/pictures/architecture-diagram.txt' (for
> text) unreadable: No such file or directory.

That one's harmless (for the sake of image-less info format, makeinfo
looks for ASCII art).

> out/contributor.texi:101: @verbatiminclude `ly-grammar.txt': No such
> file or directory.
> makeinfo: Removing output file `out/lilypond-contributor.info' due to
> errors; use --force to preserve.

That one isn't.

> Do we have a problem?

Looks like it.  There were several recent changes in the build system,
actually even a change that was supposed to actually distribute
ly-grammar.txt.  It's conceivable that Make sees the distributed
ly-grammar.txt and does not bother regenerating it, while makeinfo
doesn't find it.  Which would mean that distributing ly-grammar.txt is
what causing the problem.  It may also be that unrelated problems are
involved.

Did you try building in-place or in a separate build directory?