Re: Fill in section "\set vs \override" (issue 21820045)

From: benrudiak
Subject: Re: Fill in section "\set vs \override" (issue 21820045)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 00:04:43 +0000

As someone who barely understands LilyPond's internals I appreciate this
explanation, but it still leaves me confused. It seems to be saying that
grob properties are an additional hierarchical override system below the
level of context properties, but I don't see why that's needed when
context properties already behave in a similar way. Also, the assignment
of properties to the context or grob "genders" seems somewhat arbitrary;
I don't see why tempoHideNote should be a context property and
BarNumber.break-visibility a grob property, for example.

Especially now that there is a unified dot syntax, could \set and
\override be made synonyms that work out internally what kind of
property to set, making the distinction an internal detail that most
people could ignore?

(This is a clarification request, not a feature request. I find it
helpful if documentation mentions which features of a design are
historical accidents that wouldn't exist if everything were
reimplemented from scratch.)

https://codereview.appspot.com/21820045/