cross-voice slurs

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: cross-voice slurs
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:25:59 +0100

Hi,

2013/11/9 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Colin Campbell <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have an exercise which requires starting a note on one string, then
>> adding a second note while the first is still sounding.  Graphically,
>> it looks like a slur. My problem is that, in order to get timing
>> right, I have to use two voices, and of course, I can't slur from one
>> to the other.
>
> Well, if we are talking about a cello, you'll never have more than one
> slur at a time, right?  So you might just move the Slur_engraver from
> Voice level to Staff level.

I have a quick thought.  What about creating a new grob named
CrossVoiceSlur, which would be identical to Slur in all ways except
that its engraver, Cross_voice_slur_engraver, would be placed in Staff
context by default?  This way, one could use either normal or
cross-voice slurs without messing things up.

What do you think?  I don't intend to go into a detailed discussion,
since we're focusing on releasing 2.18, but i'd just like to know
whether you consider this idea feasible or not.

best,
Janek