Re: Lilypond to Braille

From: Maurits Lamers
Subject: Re: Lilypond to Braille
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:45:49 +0100

Hi Keith,

my reactions are between the lines

Maurits Lamers <maurits <at> weidestraat.nl> writes:

I might be wrong, but I don't think creating a separate Braille context
will work, as it would require the
same music to be defined twice, one as normal music and one as Braille.

I do not know what you mean by 'defining' the music, but I suspect you
can get two types of output with only 'defining' the music once.

What I mean by that is that the end user would have to put all his music into a macro, and create extra contexts to put the music into Braille, which would then be inserted in the resulting postscript file.
The way it should work is that the user just adds a \braille tag, which would cause the music in the source file to be outputted into a text file containing braille symbols, in exactly the same way as currently midi files are generated.

The engraver solution you gave is very promising. Writing engravers this way would most certainly work, but it leaves me with one question:
In the current approach all the values produced by the event end up in the PS output file. In this case however, the Braille engravers should output to a separate file.
While it would be possible to define one which can be read like (ly:get-option ‘braille-output-file), or create a closure over the braille file and use (format outputfile “”) etc, how would I go about to make sure the braille is written in the correct order?

cheers

Maurits