Re: Reasoning behind convert-ly rule for stable update?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Reasoning behind convert-ly rule for stable update?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 06:17:54 +0000 (UTC)

Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 06:12:16PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody know _why_ convert-ly updates at least to the last stable
> > version number even if nothing else has been changed?
>
> Yes, because it's confusing for some users if they've downloaded
> the latest and greatest lilypond 2.18.0, run convert-ly, and see
> that their files are 2.17.37.

If users run convert-ly without the '-d' option, then the version
string is updated to the last version considered by convert-ly,
and if we have a dummy rule for 2.18.0 (like we have for stable
releases since 1.6.0) that version will be 2.18.0

> Also, when dealing with large collections of files, it's
> reassuring that the files really are current as-of 2.x.0.  I mean,
> if I see input/regression/foo.ly being 2.13.5, does that mean that
> people forgot to run convert-ly, or does it mean that it really
> has no syntax changes since then?

That argument seems to apply to the snippets, reassuring users that they
pulled a snippet that should work.

For a regression test, if someone forgot to run convert-ly then it will
either fail pass its test, or the conversion must not have been important.