Re: Reduce offsets of \super and \sub (issue 35320043)

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: Reduce offsets of \super and \sub (issue 35320043)
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 00:52:58 +0000

On 2013/11/30 08:54:27, dak wrote:

The question is rather what the point of the patch is.  I read "This
brings
chordNames and text superscripts into better agreement with the shifts
in
user-provided scans." but it would seem to do so only for a particular
font
size.

Well, for a particular relation between font size and setting of
baseline-skip, specifically the relation that we have with LilyPond
defaults.

  Do you know a better quantity on which to scale the raising of
superscripts?

The code history shows that the raise of a superscript was scaled from
baseline-skip, forever.  It seems a reasonable choice, because it should
indicate the vertical scale of the surrounding text.  You would not want
to take the scale from the text being raised :
 \markup { la \concat {\huge 3 \super ième} fois }
 \markup { la \concat {\teeny 3 \super \huge ième} fois }

It might be nicer if the text-scaling functions did a local scaling of
baseline-skip :
 \markup \teeny { la \concat {3 \super ième} fois }
 \markup { la \concat {3 \super ième} fois
   \override #'(baseline-skip . 2) \teeny {
           la \concat { 3 \super ième} fois } }

Just checking, when I put chord-names in a multi-line score in a markup,
the baseline-skip between systems is kept distinct from the
baseline-skip for text-ish things in the score.
  music = \chordmode { \repeat unfold 20 {c2:9dim ges2:maj7} }
  \markup { \override #'(baseline-skip . 10 )
  \score {
     <<\new ChordNames \music
       \new Staff \music >>
     \layout{} }}

So the basic function of \super seems fine to me; it just raises too
far.

https://codereview.appspot.com/35320043/