Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:27:19 +0100

Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

> On Dec 10, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Have you used the GUB-compiled binary package, or Fedora's built-in or a
>>> self-compiled package?  I think that you probably can only make
>>> platform-specific comparisons if you use GUB for all.
>>
>> GUB-compiled packages in all cases give the same results as above.
>>
>> Most of the increase in time to set this score happened between 2.17.0 and .1
>> 2.16.2 2m 30s
>> 2.17.0 2m 28s
>> 2.17.1 4m 06s
>> so it is probably the issue 2148 patch, use of outlines instead of
>> boxes for layout.
>>
>> I did speed-test that patch, but under Linux.  Maybe the system
>> calls to the font server, to get outlines for the glyphs, take
>> longer under Windows.
>
> One easy way to avoid this is to turn off this feature with
> vertical-skylines = ##f for lots of grobs - I do this often for big
> scores when I want to compile them fast, but I reactivate the more
> accurate vertical skylines for the final version.

Sigh.  It's stuff like that which really makes me pessimistic about the
prospects of LilyPond as serious software.

If its developers consider it unusable for serious work out of the box
without making use of their personal, secret bag of tricks, how are we
supposed to tell people with a straight face that this software is
useful other than as either a toy or a tinker box?