running latex with system or execle [was: multi-column markup function/m

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: running latex with system or execle [was: multi-column markup function/macro?]
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:46:03 +0100

Hi list,

I use xelatex (with fontspec to synchronize fonts with lilypond-pango)
to create text-pages in my lilypond files. This is working quite well
(for my needs), but with the update to 2.18, the styles of the century
schoolbook font are lost. If I (don't remove and) compile the created
.tex-file on the shell, everything is fine.
I committed this piece to openlilylib snippets:

https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/specific-solutions/xelatex-markup-list

Perhaps someone knows a way, to create a "clean" environment for latex
from lilypond-scheme?

*DISCLAIMER {
I would *not* propose such a command for inclusion in standard lilypond,
because it calls external programs via "unsafe" system calls.
But the question to include latex in lilypond was raised more than once
on the user list, so IMO it should be an available public snippet.
} DISPLAIMER*

Hi Alex,

Am 20.01.2014 18:02, schrieb Alex Loomis:
> I'm still getting a lot of warnings, but it works beautifully!

I looked in your log-file. Yes, there a lot more warnings, than I get.
In line 87/88 (xelatex-markup-list.ly) I define a list of environment
variables to clean. All path entries, including 'lilypond' are removed.
As you can see there, only PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are "active". You
can /try/ to add (for example) FONTCONFIG_FILE and _PATH to reduce the
number of warnings.

> The word silence is in roman, but commenting out the line
>
> \override-lines #'(font-name . "Century Schoolbook L")
>
> makes it italic. I assume this is because you need to specify an italic
> typeface?

I noticed this after upgrading to 2.18 - see question above.

Best, Jan-Peter