Re: how close are we to having an "addAt" or "insertAt" feature?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: how close are we to having an "addAt" or "insertAt" feature?
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 02:51:22 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> For better or worse, I am currently focusing on speeding up "git
>>> blame" which is braking down lots of people.
>>
>> Excellent!  If you want a test case from the dark side, try
>>
>>   http://repo.or.cz/w/wortliste.git

Wrong URL, needs a /r/ in the middle rather than /w/.

>> For historical reasons, the `wortliste' is a single, large file
>> instead of smaller ones.
>
> No need.  Got src/xdisp.c from Emacs.  That takes about 2 minutes for me
> right now.

3, actually.

> Looking at the code and where the profiling shows the bulk of time
> being spent, I'd hope to be able to shave off at least 98% or so.
> We'll see.

Bah.  Got only 50% off, and a third of the rest is system time.  At
least an artificial test case went from 40 seconds to 2, but that is
only a 95% reduction, so still a far cry from what I fantasized.

And the wortliste still takes more than 6 minutes on my computer:

address@hidden:/usr/local/tmp/wortliste$ time ../git/git blame wortliste
>/dev/null

real    6m18.501s
user    3m58.104s
sys     2m17.880s

This does not really look useful yet.  I might have to look in git's
core diff mechanism to get a better return of investment.