Re: Fwd: Re: Issue 3804 in lilypond: Patch: Web: Text-input: make LM ref

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Issue 3804 in lilypond: Patch: Web: Text-input: make LM reference more friendly.
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 12:44:38 +0100

Am 27.01.2014 12:24, schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

Would somebody please be so kind and push the attached patch?

Pushed to staging as
commit 73346163907e09dd0c1e7d6956770379f8bc3971
Author: Urs Liska <address@hidden>
Date:   Mon Jan 27 11:48:24 2014 +0100

Thanks.

I'm really bad at timely review, but it might make sense to rethink some
of the wording in a future version.

"unnecessarily" seems unnecessary to me here as it implies the existence
of "necessary confusion" and/or some deficiency in some new users.  Also
"doubting" implies questions of belief.

Of course, this sort of "bikeshedding" over the wording can take
arbitrary amounts of time and discussion without any significant
improvement.  I'm just throwing out another suggestion that might be a
bit more careful about avoiding condescension:

     Some of LilyPond's design decisions are not self-evident but may
     require a larger context to understand.  A number of restrictions
     are a consequence of the current design and/or implementation and
     are both well-known and documented.  For that reason, it is
     recommended to work at least through the Learning Manual before
     reporting issues.

All the best

My next patch will touch these sections again (Adding an "editing" page as already presented in an earlier email. This will of course need adapting the end of the "Text input" page).
I will reread your suggestion then.

Urs