Re: GSoC 2014

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: GSoC 2014
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:07:01 +0100

Hi Janek, David, Urs,

I agree, that the shape-project in fact is a project *and* IMO it is a
very important one.
But if I understand Davids concerns correctly, I agree, that it will be
difficult to define boundaries for this project. You showed a lot of
shapes, which are not "publication ready". And there are some rules how
to determine, if it is a good shape - thank you for your research!
But still there is an artistic freedom - and opinions about the "right"
shape might change - so when will it be finished? When is it "fixed"?
Probably "the journey is its own reward"? Please don't take this too
seriously! ;) Your hard work on this topic is very important and I hope
it will be rewarded the one or the other way!
I just think that the guile v2 project is better suited for GSoC.
Davids proposal for integration of guile v2 is also a proposal of a very
important project, because the day, lilypond needs to keep a legacy
guile lib against newer versions installed versions by default is not
that far away. And this project has a well-defined border: Make lilypond
compile against guile v2 and integrate it in GUB. And guile is the
"standard scripting library" on GNU systems, so it might be easier, to
communicate it to FSF and GSoC(?).
And this would also be a giant leap for musicXML integration (and so
on). If this project is successful, we get this for free ;)

Best, Jan-Peter