Re: long-term goals

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: long-term goals
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:03:42 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> I didn't want to post that because I'm not ready with it yet, but I
> think I have to comment on this occasion.
>
> I was asked by the head of the "music informatics" (however the
> correct English term would be) department of a University nearby for
> suggestions for projects that could be assigned to students for their
> bachelor, master or PhD thesis'. This will of course be a non-binding
> list without guarantee that anything will be really done. But it _can_
> provide nice input of man-power.

Bachelor: rewrite and benchmark skyline algorithms according to specs

          convert to GUILEv2 (that one's more like a term paper).

master: derive, prove and corrobate the asymptotic behavior of former

        refactor and create framework for outputs, adding XML output

        refactor page output, adding several examples for user-defined
        page layouts (with footnote layers suitable for critical typesetting)

        redesign and refactor engraver layers

Phd:    design optimization specification framework, migration strategy,
        bind page breaking into it, start migrating engravers

And quite a bit more.  There is always the diffuse

Bachelor:
        benchmark a whole lot and improve the hotspots until deadline
        approaches

> I will write together a list with projects, but explicitly from my
> (i.e. the musicological) perspective. I already have such a document,
> but that's more a personal sketch.

Nothing wrong with that...