Re: Black mensural notation in current Lilypond

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Black mensural notation in current Lilypond
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:52:21 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "MIchael McClimon" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2014 3:08 PM
Subject: Black mensural notation in current Lilypond

(First of all, I'm not subscribed to this list, so I'd appreciate it if you
copied me at address@hidden on replies to this.)

We traditionally "reply all" on this list, when we remember.

In the past, I've used Lukas Pietsch's Black Mensural plugin
(http://www.lukas-pietsch.de/Music/blackmensural.ly) to set black mensural
notation. It works pretty well with Lilypond 2.12, but less good on newer
versions of Lilypond. The spacing and whatnot is often way off, for example,
with noteheads colliding into one another, and ligatures frequently don't
work. I'm pretty sure there were some changes in Lilypond 2.14 to the
mensural plugin, which breaks certain aspects of the plugin.

(Lukas's original thread introducing the Black Mensural stuff is at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-01/msg00088.html)

I'm willing to work on his plugin to get it to work properly on recent
Lilyponds, but I'm not very familiar with Lilypond internals, especially when
it comes to the mensural stuff. I'm hoping that someone here with more
knowledge might be able to lend a hand, or at least point me in the right
direction as to where would be a good place to start.

You might start by looking at updating the syntax of the included file with convert-ly:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/usage/updating-files-with-convert_002dly

--
Phil Holmes