Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:47:04 -0700 (PDT)

Urs,

Good, valid questions, and thank you for your response. Let's see if I can answer them satisfactorily:

1. The use case, at least as it is with me, would be for anyone dabbling with their own notation fonts that want to use them without needing to mess with source code. Granted, the work-flow is a little bit hacked and definitely done on the command-line, so it takes some courage for those less inclined to work there. Also, the method I'm using allows the user to edit only the glyphs they want to change in FontForge (usually the standard glyphs) and leave the other less-common glyphs (like the ancient notations) as they are, but still available (as opposed to what Gonville has done) if someone wants to mix notation styles in a score, thus allowing for complete flexibility while maintaining a comprehensive glyph set.

2. The reason I chose not to edit the metafont source is because it appeared that metafont behaves more like a person with a pen writing down the glyph (which absolutely has its place) and not a craftsman with a chisel making a glyph punch and engraving the glyph in a metal plate. I just don't know (probably because of my lack of experience) if metafont can easily add the features I've identified. Now, I 100% agree that it would be a very nice touch if it could be integrated into LilyPond itself, even a totally custom build. I just don't know how to make the changes in the metafont easily, but that, again, could be due to my lack of experience.

Honestly, the differences between Emmentaler and Cadence (that's what I'm calling my font so far) are pretty small. Some more obvious, others more subtle. I've attached the FontForge's full-font print out to show the 20pt sizes of both Emmentaler and Cadence.

Also attached are LilyPond's engraving of the first score in the "essay", Suite I, BWV 1007. One version was laid out to match the PDF version of the essay in its printed size (larger margins, staff-size of 15.3pt, etc.), but engraved with Emmentaler, which looks fabulous (I always wondered why LilyPond's version was not included for comparison in the essay), which looks fabulous.

The other two are the same score at 20pt size, still letter-size paper, but default margins, one using Emmentaler and the other using Cadence. This particular score looks fine with Cadence since it doesn't use any dynamics or numerals (except for the fingering which actually comes from a smaller optical Emmentaler font).

- I've tried to mimic the way that some styles blend the noteheads together, particularly the half-note and whole note (similar to what the Parnassus font does for MuseScore). They are a little larger, and a little more round, but still NOT round or even elliptical.
- I've simplified the curves of the treble clef (it just always looked a little too hand-written to me) and increased the length of the tail of the bass clef.
- I've also increased the width of the natural accidentals (not completely settled on this yet, but the default seems a little thin to me) and increased the stems a little, adjusted the interior void of the flat accidentals so that the stem has a more consistent taper and the bulb is more voluptuous and black.
- Of course, I added consistent internal rounds to all the glyphs that should have them (and not all SHOULD have them, by the way, if we follow the engraving process).

If you get any tips as to solving my problems with the font, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Regards,
Abraham