Re: Issue 3918: Add \alternatingTimeSignatures (issue 97110045)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Issue 3918: Add \alternatingTimeSignatures (issue 97110045)
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 13:31:54 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> That looks good.
> With a little modification (just skipping the wrapping of the
> generated markup to a stencil one could still use fractionList with
> that like:
>
> \appearance \fractionList #'(#t (6 8)(7 8)) Score.TimeSignature
>
> What do you think?

I don't know what you mean with "skipping the wrapping of the generated
markup to a stencil".  A function generating a markup does not have
access to the markup properties (and is not all that LilyPond-ish).

What's with the #t?

> a) \appearance still seems a bit odd because it's not a verb.
>    \use would be appropriate but I'm not sure if that's too generic
>    to be used for the discussed function.

\drape, \disguise, \appear, \veil ...

> b) What would be the right order of operations?
>    I assume "appearance" should be included first
>    (or in one combined step because it's not so useful to first
>    add \fractionList just to modify it immediately afterwards.

You mean with regard to patches?  Let's first figure out what we want to
arrive at.  Personally, I'm not really enthused about any proposal
including my own ones yet.  But maybe we can manage to find something
making most people happier yet.