Re: GUB again

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GUB again
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 16:40:24 +0100

Phil Holmes <address@hidden> writes:

> Right,
>
> I'm back from holiday and able to try getting GUB to run again.  As a
> reminder, I have gcc version 4.8.2 running on a 32 bit incarnation of
> Ubuntu 14.04 running in a VM.  It fails to build librestrict with this
> (and other) errors:
>
> gcc -W -Wall -fno-stack-protector -I. -fPIC -shared -o librestrict-stat.so
> restrict-stat.c
> In file included from restrict-stat.c:106:0:
> ./xstatconv.c: In function ‘__xstat_conv’:
> ./xstatconv.c:90:5: error: ‘struct stat’ has no member named ‘__unused4’
> buf->__unused4 = 0;
> ^
>
> librestrict appears unchanged for ages, so it must be a problem with
> another part of the system: with gcc perhaps?  4.8.2 appears to be the
> default installation on this version of Ubuntu: it's certainly in
> usr/bin.

My suspicion would be on some kernel/library headers.  It seems strange
at first thought that they would be consulted in a cross-compiling
situation in the first place.  However, the purported purpose of
librestrict is making sure that nothing inappropriate on the host gets
accessed, and the file access libraries responsible for that would be
the ones on the host.  So the host dependency is likely to be expected.

> I've seen a proposed patch from Masamichi, but as David says, this may
> fix the issue but doesn't shed any light on what is the root cause.
> Is it worth trying to go back to an earlier version of gcc?  If so,
> how would I go about that?

I lean towards just using Masamichi's patch.