Per-voice instrument name

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Per-voice instrument name
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 15:47:25 -0500

I'd like to be able to define an instrument name per voice and see the names
rendered in a column.  I have a kludge for this that led me to discover issue
4213.  Rather than going into any detail about that, I'll simply suggest some
Lilypondish input (which does not currently work) and request advice on the
best approach.  Any ideas?

\version "2.19.15"

aNotes = {
  % I don't care much about the details of the syntax; the key idea is
  % to keep the part name with the music for the part.
  \set instrumentName = "S"
  e'
}

bNotes = {