Re: Improving the Contributors Guide and LilyDev

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Improving the Contributors Guide and LilyDev
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 18:32:52 +0200

Hi Paul, thanks for the suggestions.

As Debian Jessie was released few days ago, I was thinking about a new
LilyDev.
I think I'll first upgrade to a more recent version of live-build and then
add the modifications you are suggesting.

> A. Suggestions for LilyDev3:
>
> Make nano the default editor for git, git-cl, and anywhere else needed.
> This might be the simplest single thing that would improve the learning
> curve.  Those who like another more advanced editor like vim will likely
> know how to set it as their default.  (And/or in the CG walk the reader
> through the steps to change the editor settings.)

I just need to add an EDITOR variable in .bashrc. Currently there's only
LYEDITOR, which is for PDF point-and-click:
https://github.com/fedelibre/LilyDev/blob/master/config/includes.chroot/etc/skel/.bashrc#L122

> The indicator of the current git branch (in the command line prompt) is
> not set up in the .bashrc file as it says it is in CG.  This should already
> be set up.  See CG 3.2.1 Configuring Git, where it says:
>   Finally, and in some ways most importantly,
>   let’s make sure that we know what branch we’re on.
>   If you’re not using LilyDev, add this to your ‘~/.bashrc’:
>   export PS1="address@hidden \w\$(__git_ps1)$ "

Nice, I didn't know that! I'll add it.

> Add to LilyDev a text editor that has code highlighting (one that's
> simpler than emacs).  For example LilyDev2 had geany and gedit but LilyDev3
> doesn't.  (Or at least suggest some as recommended optional installs.)

Ok, I can add one of those, probably Geany.
(I tried to keep the size of ISO as smaller as possible.)

> Automatic formatting/indenting of C++ files currently doesn't work "out of
> the box” and there’s no easy way to manually get it to work.  Artistic
> Style 2.02 is required for LilyPond’s fixcc.py but LilyDev3 has 2.01, which
> is the version provided by Debian and the only version available through
> apt-get.  Version 2.02 is no longer available from SourceForge.  Possible
> solution: make fixcc.py work with Artistic Style 2.01 (Federico wrote that
> LilyDev will provide the default Debian version of Artistic Style so that
> rules out upgrading it to 2.02.)  (Another possible solution: does LilyPond
> need its own formatting style or would the GNU one work fine and avoid this
> maintenance/overhead?)

Jessie has version 2.04:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/astyle

Is it ok?