Re: Make \shiftOff an assertive \override, not a \revert (issue 19050004

From: dak
Subject: Re: Make \shiftOff an assertive \override, not a \revert (issue 190500043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 22:50:36 +0000

On 2015/05/10 21:00:26, Keith wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2015 11:02:21 -0700, <mailto:address@hidden> wrote:

> It's not clear why you are now mixing in variants of conversion
rules
> for issue 4372.

I noticed that my rule made the same \b mistake as yours, and they are
right
next to each other, and I thought it was an easy fix, so I tried
fixing both at
once.

Well, I guess I got the more thorough fix.  This is a rather nasty
pattern.

At any rate, there is a different issue for it.

> But at any rate I think you need to explain why you think that you
want
> a convert-ly rule to retain behavior that you consider
> a) to not correspond to the documentation or expected behavior
> b) to not deserve a command of its own
> c) you do not consider worth documenting separately
> d) which requires explicit protection of the documentation from
> conversion

It was hard to decide whether to have the convert-ly rule or not for
\shiftOff.

For existing music that used the old shiftOff = \revert
NoteColumn.horizontal-shift,
the replacement \undo\shiftOn  has the same expansion.

I searched for uses of \shiftOff and found that Urs Metzger has a few
pieces on
mutopiaproject that use \shiftOn \shiftOff pairs as if they were a
set/revert
pair.  The convert-ly rule doesn't help for those examples, though,
because they
have hand-adjusted shifts in the other voices.

The \revert version generated "too many clashing notecolumns"
warnings, which is
now "need a \shiftXxx", and I thought it a bit safer to keep a
warning.

What's safer here?  For old code where people did not bother heeding the
warning anyway (possibly because the output was ok for them) now the
warning is no longer there.  For new code the convert-ly rule is not
relevant.

If you revert the convert-ly rule, it would be more tidy if you also
reverse its
changes in
'Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely' and
'Documentation/fr/learning/fundamental.itely'
Only three lines each file.   :%s/\\undo\\shiftOn/\\shiftOff/g

I mentioned the pending cleanup in issue 4372.  I'd lean towards
rewinding the version numbers as well but would check that they are not
warranted for other changes.

https://codereview.appspot.com/190500043/