Re: Google Code shutting down

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Google Code shutting down
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 12:27:06 +0100

David Kastrup wrote Saturday, May 16, 2015 11:11 AM

>> Trevor Daniels wrote Tuesday, May 12, 2015 9:15 PM
>>
>>> I'm sure we'll find some undesirable features of Allura when we get
>> down to the details, but that's what the next few weeks will tell us.
>>
>> I've pretty well completed my assessment of Allura at SourceForge, and
>> find the facilities available pretty well match our needs, in fact
>> they are surprisingly similar to those at GoogleCode.  There are some
>> differences but none which we can't live with.  So far so good.
>>
>> However, there is a show-stopper concerning the integrity of the
>> Issues discussions recorded in the tracker.  Each item in the
>> discussion has an owner, and this is set to Anonymous during the
>> import, since the original owner is not recognised as a SourceForge
>> account-holder.  This in itself is not a serious problem, as the
>> correct owner is recorded in the text of the message.  However, owners
>> of discussion messages are always permitted to edit them, irrespective
>> of the permission settings, and I can find no way of preventing this.
>> That means Anonymous, which is any not-logged-in user, i.e. anyone,
>> will be able to edit, accidently or maliciously, any and all
>> discussion entries in our Issues DB.
>>
>> I've reported this to the SourceForge maintainers:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/10317/
>
> So one probably will want to have some fallback owner here.

Yes, I've suggested using a dummy user, like Importer, in the report
I submitted.  Or even the project owner.

> The issue
> would be somewhat softened if we can convince Savannah to offer Allura,
> but not all current issue owners are in the LilyPond project member set
> on Savannah either.

I don't think the importer is part of Allura.  I suspect it is an
add-on developed by or for SourceForge, although I have no evidence to
back that up, only that the documentation for it is separate from the
Allura documentation.  I'll dig a bit.

Trevor