Re: balloon-text: robust with empty stencils; issue 4447 (issue 24361004

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: balloon-text: robust with empty stencils; issue 4447 (issue 243610043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 19:07:55 -0700

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 23:50:50 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

https://codereview.appspot.com/243610043/diff/1/lily/balloon.cc#newcode94
lily/balloon.cc:94: b.widen (padding, padding);

Basically we have two options here: not draw a box at all (it would be
my guess that this is probably what happened previously when assertions
were disabled) or draw a box around the not-with-stencil anchor point.

The former behavior leaked NaNs and corrupted spacing on the whole line.

This is for the situation where a user, through misunderstanding or oversight, requested
an indicator box be drawn around an object that does not actually appear in print.  A
tiny empty box says clearly "I heard you ask for a box, but I didn't recognize or
find what you wanted me to draw it around."