Re: Compile LilyPond for WebAssembly (was for NaCl)

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Compile LilyPond for WebAssembly (was for NaCl)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 14:55:13 -0400

> On May 12, 2015, at 6:50 PM, Trevor <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Could any useful part of LilyPond be compiled for NaCl
> <https://developer.chrome.com/native-client/overview#why-use-native-client>?
> Is that at all within the realm of possibility?

For the record, Google’s NaCl and its Mozilla-backed rival asm.js are now both
being superseded by WebAssembly (wasm), a new format created with support and
collaboration from all major browser vendors:

http://www.infoq.com/news/2015/06/webassembly-wasm

https://brendaneich.com/2015/06/from-asm-js-to-webassembly/

So that increases the appeal of compiling (all or some of) LilyPond to
WebAssembly, but I would imagine that it doesn’t change its feasibility, at
least not in the short term.

-Paul