Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:22:18 +0200

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> Il giorno dom 19 lug 2015 alle 14:31, David Kastrup <address@hidden> ha
> scritto:
>> Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

>>>  it wouldn't make sense
>>>  I guess that you would see just the first image of the slider, there
>>>  would be no transition to the next image
>>
>> So with "slider" you don't mean some user control but rather an
>> automated change of images?  Wouldn't an animated GIF or MNG file
>> provide that?
>
> Yes, images that slide one after another, as in the example I linked
> before.
>
> I read that MNG is not supported by IE, Opera and Safari.
> Perhaps animated GIF could be a way to achieve something similar. Find
> attached an example, generated with:
>
> convert -delay 400 -page 800x360 -loop 0 *.png slider.gif
>
> on some examples I had previously resized to maximum 800 px width.
>
> We found the Nineties solution :-)
>
> James, if you do the texinfo stuff I can create the GIF file of all
> the examples required.

Tell you what: I'm probably the Nineties user.  That GIF annoys me
because it does not allow me to look at stuff as long as I need.  I'd
probably have a similar problem with a "Slider" (which presumably adds
animation to the image flipping).  A slow conveyor-belt like appearance
would likely annoy me less (basically having _only_ animation) but it
still does not beat a statical page for me where _I_ am doing the
scrolling and determining the flow of presentation.