Re: List of Issues with 'patch_abandoned' assigned to them - asofSeptemb

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: List of Issues with 'patch_abandoned' assigned to them - asofSeptember 2015
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:28:16 +0200

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote Monday, September 21, 2015 9:16 AM
>
>> No, that's not entirely related.  I may give up on a particular
>> approach to an issue, making it pointless to pursue a particular
>> patch, but still want to cook up a different patch or solve the
>> problem in the context of another issue.  Patch abandoned just means
>> that the latest proposed patch is not going to be pursued further,
>> not that the issue owner has given up on a particular problem
>> altogether.
>
> We don't really have a mechanism to handle multiple patches, so I think
> we can discount that possibility.

Sorry, but that just does not match reality.  We have a host of issues
where multiple patches have been proposed.  While we only assign a state
to the latest patch with a reference in a comment, this state has a
number of degrees of freedom independent from that of the issue.

> We usually use Patch needs_work to cover the situation where the
> current patch is inadequate and further work is in progress.  I'd
> rather adopt my interpretation as a more useful use of this limited
> set of markers, namely that Patch abandoned really means, "I've given
> up on working on this issue and the current patch is now up for grabs
> for someone else to improve on it."

That's issue ownership.  And the difference between "Started" and
"Accepted".