Re: quarter tones in tablature (issue 272320043 by address@hidden)

From: thomasmorley65
Subject: Re: quarter tones in tablature (issue 272320043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 22:53:30 +0000

https://codereview.appspot.com/272320043/diff/1/scm/translation-functions.scm

https://codereview.appspot.com/272320043/diff/1/scm/translation-functions.scm#newcode237
> > scm/translation-functions.scm:237: ((determine-frets #:optional
> > (support-non-integer-fret? #f))
> > That's pretty bad.  determine-frets was a public function
previously,
changing
> > it to a hook it to a function generator is incompatible.
>
> I don't understand. Why incompatible? At least it survived our
regtests and my
> local testings.

If someone uses it, for example as a component in his own
fret-determining
function, it will behave differently from before.  It is an exported
function so
people might have used it.

True. So wouldn't that mean we can't change any public function
regarding amount and/or type of arguments?
At least without convert-rule.

> > support-non-integer-fret belongs into a context property, and
determine-fret
> > gets passed a context anyway, so that's quite straightforward to
do.  No
need
> > change the call interface to determine-frets.
>
> I could create a follow up, introducing "support-non-integer-fret?"
as a
> context-property and change determine-fret-code accordingly.
> I think that's your suggestion.

Yes.  Its name should be chosen to fit with existing properties
(question marks
are likely a killer in property names anyway),

They are.

but that's the idea.

patch is up, see
following the above idea.

It might
also be an idea to make this a property valid-fret-predicate and set
it index?
by default (and one could override with number? instead).

Maybe, but this would warant a new issue, I'd say

Though one would need
to check how this combines with instruments with irregular fret
arrangement
since those have different valid frets on each string and I think we
also
support that in some manner.

Do we? Right now I'm not sure.

https://codereview.appspot.com/272320043/