Re: Beginning contributor needs mentor

From: John Gourlay
Subject: Re: Beginning contributor needs mentor
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 15:47:33 -0500

Mike,

Yes, I am the spacing-a-line-of-music John Gourlay, pleased that my early
contributions have turned out to be useful. I’ve been out of the loop for about
30 years, however, so it won’t happen that I’ll be doing any mentoring myself
for some time. Indeed I’ve been working in Windows for the past 20 years or so,
usually very close to the machine, helping in the development of real-time
software for testing engines and transmissions used by the big auto
manufacturers at the ends of their assembly lines. Only now that I’ve retired
from that job do I feel like I have time to give back to the open-source
community. I only learned about LilyPond about two years ago from Daniel
Spreadbury who tracked me down hoping to get some of the unpublished MusiCopy
reports. (Of course I can make them available to you, too, if you like.) He was
working for Steinberg in England on a new music scoring application and wanted
to use some of the ideas from the MusiCopy project. As we conversed he pointed
out that the ideas are already in use in a number of music formatting systems
including LilyPond. Unfortunately I’ve never heard that the Steinberg product
was released.

So, where do I go from here? If you have a narrow, low-priority bug or new
feature for me to work on it could help me focus my attention. I certainly need
to spend more time with the Contributor’s Guide; the messages on lilypond-devel
are mostly inscrutable to me, and I don’t know anything yet about the tools
used to track bugs, fixes, reviews, and releases. Separately, I feel like I
ought to learn more about using LilyPond so that I can better understand new
feature requests and judge whether or not a fix is appropriate. Regardless,
I’ll take whatever suggestions you’d like to make to help me get started.

John