Re: Implement make-bow-stencil, make-tie-stencil for use in markup-comma

From: thomasmorley65
Subject: Re: Implement make-bow-stencil, make-tie-stencil for use in markup-commands undertie and overtie (issue 270640043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 23:01:20 +0000

https://codereview.appspot.com/270640043/diff/60001/scm/define-markup-commands.scm

https://codereview.appspot.com/270640043/diff/60001/scm/define-markup-commands.scm#newcode623
> > scm/define-markup-commands.scm:623: (direction DOWN)
> > Should this markup command be called "undertie" or should it
rather be
"tie",
> > with "undertie" explicitly overriding `direction'?
> >
> > Because the rather explicit name '\undertie' seems a bit
inconsistent with
the
> > behavior of
> >
> > {
> >   c'1^\markup \undertie hm
> > }
> >
> > where the direction is determined by the direction specified for
the
> TextScript.
>
> Changed property direction to text-direction, which is in use
already.

Uh, that's for left/right direction changes.  I'd strongly recommend
against
that.  If we are sure we'll never need to change the direction based
on the
markup direction (like, say, over/under actual note glyphs?), I'd just
implement
commands undertie/overtie that call some internal function with the
direction to
use directly.

Done this way. Right now I can't imagine any use-case for relying on
direction-modifiers.
If there is use for it sometime in the future we may change this again,
ofcourse.

If there may be a use case for inheriting direction, some directable
markup
command may be useful.  Either it is called (with an appropriate
explicit
direction override) by undertie/overtie, or all three call the same
internal
function.

https://codereview.appspot.com/270640043/