Re: Python project including Lilypond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Python project including Lilypond
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 23:46:51 +0100

arnaud gregoire <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
> I'm a french engineer piuple and i'm actually achieved to finish my python
> project.
> The goal of my project was ; transform .mp3 into a music-sheet.
> In my program, i'm using Lilypond in order to transform a .txt into a real
> .pdf music sheet.
>
> I would like to make a free web-service that transform a .mp3 into a music
> sheet to conclude this project.
> Can i use Lilypond in this web-service ?

LilyPond is licensed under the GPLv3.  Basically this means you are free
to use it.  However, if you distribute your software to others
(including an unchanged copy of LilyPond), that distribution needs to
provide LilyPond licensed under the GPLv3.  When you change LilyPond in
order to fit it with your software, any distribution of LilyPond needs
to include the source code for such changes.  Depending on the scope
with which such changes are tied to your software, the distribution of
the software might also get affected.

If you don't provide others with the software but only with the service,
the GPLv3 does not really put any noteworthy requirements on you.
Naturally, it would be nice to tell people about your use of LilyPond.