Re: broken doc build (orchestra.ly)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: broken doc build (orchestra.ly)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 11:38:42 +0200

James Lowe <address@hidden> writes:

> David,
>
> On 20/05/16 17:38, David Kastrup wrote:
>> James <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I don;t know what the lilypond.pot stuff does but could that have been
>>> the problem?
>> Unlikely.  I think it may be the distribution of files across parallel
>> builds, where the few snippets using the Scheme_engraver poison the
>> session so that it crashes during an unrelated snippet (or when exiting)
>> later on.
>>
>> That is, if we can show that the Scheme_engraver code actually gets
>> exercised during the runs that crash.
>>

> Well if you need me to try some 'hacked up' code or try some specific
> compilation options etc. to get output for you, let me know.
>
> All I can say to Knut is that, for the last couple of days anyway, the
> 'problem' seems to have gone away.

Garbage collection problems are elusive.  I was surprised that Knut was
able to reproduce them well enough for bisection (though bisection does
not employ much redundancy if at all, so if a problem triggers randomly,
you'll still end up with a particular commit labelled as culprit).

At any rate, Werner had pushed a spelling correction commit that ended
up staying in staging for a looooong time (days I think) but then got
passed to master pretty fast once _another_ commit was pushed on top of
it.

That also reeks a bit of Patchy failure for sort-of random but
reproducible conditions.  At any rate, I pushed a slightly amended patch
for issue 4851 now.  _If_ it was a garbage collection issue on some
topic I suspected, it might make the problem go away.  Let's hear from
Knut.