Re: Error from "make doc"

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Error from "make doc"
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 22:37:26 +0200

Il giorno dom 22 mag 2016 alle 11:52, James Lowe <address@hidden> ha scritto:
 Install the package lmodern:

 sudo apt-get install lmodern

 Added to LilyDev only one month ago:

https://github.com/fedelibre/LilyDev/commit/2d4ed72d0d0a5f1b73b71d80489524c624e5727f

I am confused here.

Had John not used LilyDev but followed the documented CG instructions for whatever Linux distribution - had he had one already installed - then he wouldn't have hit this issue I suspect, I say that as someone who compiles doc most days on both Ubuntu and Fedora and have tested and documented all the instructions for all the distributions listed in the CG and on my own 'at home' Fedora install I don't see any 'modern' fonts installed if I run the command:

fc-list | grep modern

(or 'grep lm')

I can also see that the XeteX package listed in Debian's repos shows lmodern as 'recommended' however on my own system I have texlive-xetex installed and yet I still don't see lmodern installed, so it must not be a dep on Fedora either.

lmodern is not a req as far as I can tell.

So what is special about LilyDev?

I can only say that when I tried to build the doc with xetex installed (and lmdodern not installed) I got this error in LilyDev/Debian:

   For xetex backend Debian package lmodern is needed

In Fedora the package is called texlive-lm.
This command returns a list of the installed files:

rpm -ql texlive-lm

I can only guess that these fonts are supposed to be available only to Texlive and not to the whole system?!?