Re: Silently depressed keys

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Silently depressed keys
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 21:53:03 -0400

On May 29, 2016, at 03:53 , David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> "minimum velocity" is 0.  Midi implementations use this as an alternate
> representation of key release since this leads to shorter Midi messages
> and faster transmission than the "proper" key release event.
>
> You need at least 1 to make a distinctive event.

That is helpful.

Here’s something else I could use help with.  The person who wrote Midi_note
decided that a negative (“unknown”?) Audio_dynamic should be treated as 90/127,
whereas the person who wrote Midi_dynamic decided that a negative Audio_dynamic
should be treated as 100/127.  Unless there is a good reason for this
inconsistency, I would like to move the default into Audio_dynamic itself; but
I’m not sure which value to use.  Are these specific values important, or are
they just two individuals’ fingers in the wind?

Apart from that, I think it would be a good idea to rename the music property
midi-extra-velocity to relative-volume and change its range to [-1,1] to match
the scale of the context property dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction instead of
being MIDI-specific.  Are there any objections?
—
Dan